My place of employment loves Halloween. (That might even be an understatement). Every year the Friday before Halloween they have what is called "Harvest Fest." We organize a baking contest, pumpkin decorating contest, costume contest, and decorating contest. All in one day. AND, in addition to those festivities, they cater in lunch for the entire building. (Doesn't this sound like Thanksgiving or Christmas?!)
I entered the baking contest. This is my entry!
 |
| I made a "Pumpkin Patch" using a mini bundt cake pan. |
 |
| I took second place! |
 |
| This is what took first place. Eyeball cakes! |
I considered entereing the pumpkin decorating contest but decided against it in the end. I really didn't know what to expect, since you can't carve. Based on what I saw this year, I think I'm for sure going to enter. (What can I say...I'm a joiner!)
This entry took first place. Pretty sweet if you ask me!
 |
| That is a pumpkin. For real. And those are hallowed out avocados for the eyes. How awesome is that?! |
For the costume contest you could enter individually or as a group. You also had to do a skit. My "team" entered as the Beauty School Dropouts and we performed a short minute "skit" to the song "Beauty School Dropouts" from Grease. I do have a copy of the skit, check Facebook if you REALLY want to see it ;)
Here is my team. We ended up taking first place!
 |
| Beauty School Dropouts. Everyone is wearing a wig! |
 |
| Since we were "dropouts" we had crazy hair and crazy makeup. We even had smocks made up with names on the back. |
For the decorating contest I did not enter (it's usually a department thing and we decided to do the costume instead). Here are the three departments that got first, second, and third place.
 |
| Haunted House. They literally took 3 aisles and converted them to a haunted house. Lights off, walk through and they jump out at you, wear legit costumes and everything. CAH-RAZY. |
 |
| Second place went to Smurfville. They even did a skit based off of an episode. Very creative. |
 |
| Third place went to Under the Sea. They had a tiki hut, jelly fish...everything! Very fun. |
It was a fun day at work! I doubt I will be able to top that at any other place I work at for the rest of my life!
On the actual Halloween day I handed out candy with my neighbors (since Kyle was gone) and I estimated just under 150 kids came trick-or-treating. Sadly, there was no Harry Potter this year. A LOT of Iron Man, though.
Kyle and I also went out with friends. Here are our costumes!
 |
| As a group, we had April O'Neil and Michelangelo (from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), Carmen San Diego, and Where's Waldo. |
|
|
We had a costume contest at the bar we went and I ended up taking second place, and Where's Waldo took third! (First place went to a girl that was showing skin...of course!)
Overall it was a fun Halloween...but now I am already looking forward to Christmas!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment