Tuesday, January 31, 2012

BBQ Cookoff

Since moving down here to San Antonio, there is one thing I have learned to look forward to each and every January. It not only symbolises the beginning of a new year, but also a way to celebrate the great state of TX BBQ.

It really is the best BBQ in the world.

Over 200 entries competed in this years Cookoff. Basically whomever wants to enter can, and all day Saturday you cook BBQ. At certain times throughout the day you enter your meat (i.e. brisket is the last to be turned in because it takes the longest to cook). So, for those of us NOT cooking, we get to enjoy. Enjoy the smell (you better like it because it does NOT leave you for the next 2 days...no matter how many showers you take!), the taste of the BBQ (usually FREE from different tents), and the people; the TEXAS people.

Everything really is bigger in Texas. I'm going to let the pictures do the talking. Enjoy!

p.s. if you ever want to really enjoy a TRUE Texas tradition, come on down for the cookoff! And even though it is in Jan, it was 60-something and gorgeous outside.

This was Kyle's work set-up. Can you tell they do scaffolding?

His work "crew" is called the Performance Cookers. I designed their T-Shirts for them this year. Like?

Kyle and I on our third annual BBQ Cookoff!

They play "rodeo games" every year- like tug of war, relay, etc. Like the background?? That's Sea World!  


This man was the head cook. Or BBQ Master. Whatever you call him. Either way, he has THE BEST ribs I have EVER tasted. EVER. He placed 6th overall. In Texas? That is MAJOR bragging rights.

So much deliciousness on one table. Sausage, brisket, ribs, YUM

Kyle is enjoying the 6th place ribs. SO YUMMY.

Some people really make this stuff a hobby. A BBQ pit that looks like a gun!

And an American Flag. I am honestly quite shocked it's not a Texas flag!
 In the end it was a great event. As always, I am thankful PCI is such a generous company. And I am thankful for this ribs. They really are life-changing!

No comments:

Post a Comment