Wednesday, October 20, 2010

meet tucker...

Over the weekend Kyle and I drove to Del Rio, TX. What's in Del Rio? A litter of PUPPIES! We both have wanted a puppy since we moved down here, but we were going to wait until after the holidays, however; Kyle happened to find this litter and fell in love. The dad dog had a great build and excellent hunting qualities, and the mom had a good build and look, both with excellent backgrounds. The price was right, and they had happened to have a pup in the litter that was already getting feathers and quail!

After the 3 hr drive to the border, we finally had him. Barely 7 weeks, he was tiny and slept in my lap the whole drive back to San Antonio.

Once home, he had some "sea legs" from being in the car, but soon enough he found them and was exploring the house. I think he sniffed every inch of it! We introduced him to our backyard, where he had never been on grass before. (He wasn't too sure of it at first, but now he knows that is where he goes to the bathroom). The dogs nextdoor have an annoying bark, so they scared him right away. He is getting used to it, but still doesn't like it (neither do I)! He is also having some issues with his collar. He will be in the middle of playing or running and all of a sudden stop and scratch. Hopefully he gets used to it soon!



In addition to getting used to grass, he is getting used to the house and his kennel. The first day Kyle and I both went to work was difficult, lots of barking, howling, and crying. He is catching on quite fast, though....thank goodness! He has also found his favorite spot in the living room to chill; in between the couch and the end table. Its small- the perfect size for him to feel cozy whenever he can't cuddle with one of us. I love the cuddle stage, but I know it won't last forever!


We have also got an abundant of toys for him to play with, so hopefully he does not turn our furniture into a chew toy! He is taking a liking to my wicker baskets, though! He has a couple squeaky ones, a couple with no stuffing, some ropes, bones of rubber and raw hide, some small tennis balls, and even a "chilly bone." I can't believe how much they like to chew on ice! He really likes to watch you with the toy, and then attack your hand so he can have the toy. I have some puppy love bites on my hands to prove it!


All-in-all, he is a very smart pup who catches on fast. He is already recognizing his name as well as sit and come. Kyle loves working with him (and running around in circles in the backyard with him!) I know Tucker will keep us busy in the future, and I am taking advantage of the puppy stage for as long as I can...and taking as many pictures as I can, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment