Monday, July 25, 2011

Retama Park

Horse races! I think it's one of my new-found favorite things to do in the summer. I used to go in Fargo, before they shut down, and now I live within 2 miles of the track here in San Antonio! Kyle and I have a couple other friends that love to go to the park as well, so we had a good time Friday night!




From the Interstate, it does not look this big. I was stunned when I actually saw how big it was! The entire dirt track around was about 2 miles if I remember correctly. They also have a grass/turf track on the inside of the dirt track! The first race started at 6:30 (pre-race) and there were 10 races total. We left around 10:30-11 and there were still 2 more races to go!





(if my camera was a newer version I would have made these into a panoramic shot for you, but you will have to use your imagination!)


Kasi and Matt so generously explained to Kyle and I the betting logistics. What the odds meant. How to pick the horse/jockey based on the numbers in front of you. (In the past I had always just looked for the prettiest horse and the coolest name). And thanks to their winning Kentucky Derby tickets we got a table for free!




We spent an extra $1 per person to get in the nice-view very air-conditioned part of the race track. The level below us was basically free admission and $1.75 beer drinkers...the crowd gets a little rough down there I heard. We had a nice table, with a TV, right at the finish line! The TV had all the races going on country wide (equipped for real hard-core gamblers!) We found the Canterbury Downs station and watched that for a while, too!





And, we had to laugh, because even though we are in one of the worst droughts in recorded TX history, ever business still finds a way to get the water they need. There were 2 of these trucks watering the tracks after every race.




Overall I either broke even or won on every race I bet on. (Matt and Kasi weren't haveing such luck) and Kyle refused to bet (he always loses at gambling). So it was a successful night! And to continue in the spirit of the night, we went back to our house and played 2 games of Farkle!

1 comment:

  1. This looks eerily similar to Canterbury Park (where I work!). Sometime when you're in Minnesota, I can set you up with a free table & some other discounts at Canterbury! :-)

    ReplyDelete